Romance in Robotics Class
Some members of this small community *ahem* Ryan *ahem* seem to think they have the market cornered on geekiness. I think I have abundantly stated my case elsewhere for having been a geek, in fact, it's possible I may still be one. I don't deny it. After all, my name growing up needed only a "k" added to the end to spell "geek," a fact brought painfully home to me through the grafitti on my sixth grade posters for student council treasurer or whatever I was running for.
But how many people can say they met their first boyfriend or girlfriend in robotics camp?
At the age of 16?
Well, I had just gotten home from living in Germany as an exchange student for a year and was entering my senior year in high school. But there was a little bit of summer vacation left, and somehow one of my parents heard about this robotics camp at the West Palm Beach Science Museum. I lived in South Florida at the time, so this is a day camp I am talking about.
Anyway, turns out that on the first day of the camp, it becomes apparent, surprise surprise, that I am the only girl there. What do you know? As I was but fresh and young as a daisy, the inherent benefits to this situation were not immediately apparent to me.
Still, I did notice that this tall fellow around my age was particularly friendly to me. So I left day one feeling that I had possibly made a friend.
Day two, this tall guy shows up with his friend Rick, a new addition to the class. Rick was even nicer than the first guy, hereafter referred to as Rick's friend. Oh, no, I remember his name now; it was Matt. But his friend Rick was cute and I dunno, impish, and.... interested in me.
I have no idea anymore how it happened that we ended up communicating our liking of each other for the first time. I have a feeling it was all due to Rick's confidence, which was not lacking. Perhaps he even just kissed me without asking me first, and when I participated, figured everything was good from there. You would think I would remember, but I don't.
What I do remember is that Matt had made a serious tactical error, unbeknownst to me. I found out later that he had liked me that first day. Liked me as in liked me. And he was all excited about this great girl he had met and how nice she was to him and everything, and he went and (foolishly, as it happens) told his best friend all about her. So said best friend remembered that he had been going to enroll in this robotics camp, and why not do it, after all? And proceeded to woo me right out from under poor Matt, without my knowing that I had already been claimed and was being relinquished.
What I also remember is that after day two, very little of robotics camp had anything to do with robots. It was about finding places to kiss. Lots and lots of kissing. And groping and making out, where possible.
Sure, our group made a robot. I think the ones the other groups made turned out a bit better, though, somehow.
And in the end, I was the one that ended up on the news, anyway. Right there on a clip on CNN. Because I was, after all, the only girl!
But how many people can say they met their first boyfriend or girlfriend in robotics camp?
At the age of 16?
Well, I had just gotten home from living in Germany as an exchange student for a year and was entering my senior year in high school. But there was a little bit of summer vacation left, and somehow one of my parents heard about this robotics camp at the West Palm Beach Science Museum. I lived in South Florida at the time, so this is a day camp I am talking about.
Anyway, turns out that on the first day of the camp, it becomes apparent, surprise surprise, that I am the only girl there. What do you know? As I was but fresh and young as a daisy, the inherent benefits to this situation were not immediately apparent to me.
Still, I did notice that this tall fellow around my age was particularly friendly to me. So I left day one feeling that I had possibly made a friend.
Day two, this tall guy shows up with his friend Rick, a new addition to the class. Rick was even nicer than the first guy, hereafter referred to as Rick's friend. Oh, no, I remember his name now; it was Matt. But his friend Rick was cute and I dunno, impish, and.... interested in me.
I have no idea anymore how it happened that we ended up communicating our liking of each other for the first time. I have a feeling it was all due to Rick's confidence, which was not lacking. Perhaps he even just kissed me without asking me first, and when I participated, figured everything was good from there. You would think I would remember, but I don't.
What I do remember is that Matt had made a serious tactical error, unbeknownst to me. I found out later that he had liked me that first day. Liked me as in liked me. And he was all excited about this great girl he had met and how nice she was to him and everything, and he went and (foolishly, as it happens) told his best friend all about her. So said best friend remembered that he had been going to enroll in this robotics camp, and why not do it, after all? And proceeded to woo me right out from under poor Matt, without my knowing that I had already been claimed and was being relinquished.
What I also remember is that after day two, very little of robotics camp had anything to do with robots. It was about finding places to kiss. Lots and lots of kissing. And groping and making out, where possible.
Sure, our group made a robot. I think the ones the other groups made turned out a bit better, though, somehow.
And in the end, I was the one that ended up on the news, anyway. Right there on a clip on CNN. Because I was, after all, the only girl!
3 Comments:
Hmm... your right. By vitrue of these events, and you being a woman, (Which confers, automatically, double the geek points), you are now ahead in the geek race. You may be penalized that you actually /found/ a boyfriend/girlfriend however. That being said...
CNN?! What?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
What do you mean, "what?" about CNN? I got to be on the news! They ran this piece on our class and our robots and picked me to interview and show a clip of because I was the only girl - whether I deserved it or not.
And the really cute, sweet part of this was that Rick taped the little segment and then would pause it on my face as he had no pics of me. Ah, young love...
Post a Comment
<< Home